Friday, January 4, 2013

Speaking of the Tango--Tango Date Night!

Violet's Date Night

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to present our first date for the blog--learning to tango! As soon as Michael and I came up with the name for our blog, I thought it would be fun to start off with a date that went along with the name.

The best part of this date: aside from a little treat Michael and I bought, it's completely free!

My husband and I have had a long and fairly stressful week, so I decided we deserved a little treat. Since our theme was the Argentinian tango, I did some research, found out Dulce de Leche was an Argentinian dessert, and decided that Dulce de Leche ice cream would be perfect. I decided on the treat a little late, so we got all dolled up and then headed to the store in our fancy clothes.

We actually found Dulce de Leche ice cream faster than I thought we would

When we got home, I pulled out my laptop and went to this webpage, where Michael and I read some of the history of the Argentinian tango. There are a few different categories of the history on the left side of the page. We read "How they learned", since I thought it was the most interesting subject.

Next, we went to this page on vivaladance.co.uk, where the site's dancers have uploaded a few instructional videos for beginners. There are two videos on the page for the tango, as well as two for the waltz.

Our wonderful instructors for the evening. :D

Michael and I had fun trying out all of the steps in both videos, though we admittedly weren't very graceful at any of them.
We're much better at standing still (don't tell anyone)
After we had learned some of the basic steps, I went on youtube and played "Takes Two to Tango" by Louis Armstrong. It's a jazz piece, but you can tango to it. It also has some pretty fun lyrics. And it's Louis Armstrong. How could you not want to listen to it? We also looked for some other tango music to be just a little more legit. ;)

After that, it was time to relax and cool down from our dance workout with our ice cream.


Total cost for this date with fancy ice cream: $4.11
Total cost for this date without fancy ice cream: FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment